One of the oldest clubs in Melbourne
The Power House Rugby Club was formed in 1933, and excluding the war years, has functioned ever since.
In 1929, the Governor of Victoria, Lord Somers established a youth camp (which still runs to this day) to develop understanding and respect for each other through sports and games, under the vision of the Lord Somers Camp.
The Power House Association was created as a premier youth leadership and development organization, and the activities expanded into sporting clubs including rugby, rowing, athletics, and AFL.
In 1983 we celebrated our 50th year as a First Division Club. We produced a book on the history of the club and held a number of other reunions throughout the year. We also broke the “Guinness Book of Records” World’s Longest Try by running 1470.6 miles.
Since 1933 Power House RUFC have been First Grade Premiers 11 times.
The latest in 2006, 2007 and 2008 making it a triple header for the first time in the club’s history. We don’t like to talk too much about the number of times we have been runners-up, beaten on the whistle (recently 1989, 1991 and 1996).
The 11 First Grade Premiership Teams winning the Dewar Shield:
1938 During the year “A” Grade played twenty matches of which seventeen were won, two lost and one drawn and won the Premiership by defeating Footscray in the final. The Footscray side, which had won the Premiership for the past two seasons were beaten 18 points to 8 by Stan Bisset and his men and the first grade flag triumphantly brought to Lakeside for the first time.
1956 – 1958 – 1968 – 1973 – 1974 – 1987 – 1997 – 2006 – 2007 – 2008
Our members come from all over the world – New Zealand, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Fiji, France, South Africa, Canada and of course all states of Australia just to name a few – which goes to show how international Rugby is.