Stan Bisset Pavilion
Power House Rugby Union Club is building the “Stan Bisset Pavilion” at Albert Park as a permanent memorial to this great Australian hero; and the new home for the Power House Rugby Club.
Tax deductible donations can be made to the Power House Rugby Union Foundation Inc. via the Australian Sport Foundation website.
About Stan Bisset
Stan Bisset captained Power House in 1938 and won the Premiership. He and his men triumphantly brought the Dewar Shield to Lakeside for the first time. Stan was then selected in the State side to play the Springboks at Carlton.
In 1939 Stan Bisset was selected in the 29-man Australian Wallabies Team to tour Britain. But the team arrived in England the day before WWII was declared.
The Wallabies tour was cancelled and Stan, then 26, never had the opportunity to play a Test match for Australia. Stan and the team returned home where he joined the 2/14th Battalion with his older brother ‘Butch’. Stan was a lieutenant in charge of an intelligence section while Butch was a platoon commander. Both men saw service in the Middle East before Australian forces returned to the South West Pacific in 1942 to defend Australia against the Japanese push through Papua New Guinea on the Kokoda Track.
After arriving in August 1942 Papua New Guinea, The 2/14th Battalion was sent up the Kokoda Track to relieve the 39th Battalion who were holding back the Japanese force at Kokoda Village. The Australian forces retreated to Isurava where during the ensuing battle, Butch was mortally wounded in heroic circumstances and died in Stan’s arms on the side of the track. Butch was buried at Bomana Cemetery which is an Australian Forces War memorial. Stan was later wounded by a snipers bullet which grazed an eyebrow at Gona as the last remaining Japanese troops were defeated.
Stan was awarded the Military Cross for actions during the attack on Palliers Hill in the Markham and Ramu Valleys in September 1943.
He returned to Power House after the war and was the Club Captain in 1947 and 1st Grade coach in 1953 before moving to Queensland.